According to Hyper Countries, Somerville, Texas is located in Burleson County, approximately 80 miles northeast of Austin. It is located at the intersection of State Highways 36 and 39 and near the Brazos River. The city has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. Average temperatures range from 45 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year.
Somerville was founded in 1853 as a stop on the stagecoach route between Brenham and Bryan. The city was named after Richard Somerville, a veteran of the Texas Revolution who settled nearby in 1844. Somerville was officially incorporated in 1876, and by 1880 it had become an important shipping point for cotton and other agricultural products.
Today, Somerville is governed by a mayor-council form of government with five elected council members representing five wards within the city limits. The economy is largely based on agriculture, with cattle ranching being a major industry in the area. Retail businesses also play an important role in providing jobs for local residents.
The Somerville Independent School District serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade with three campuses located within the city limits: Somerville Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. There are also several private schools in town offering elementary through high school education to students from nearby towns as well as those living within Somerville’s boundaries.
The most notable landmark in Somerville is its historic courthouse square which has been around since 1854 and features several shops and restaurants along its perimeter. The square is surrounded by beautiful old buildings that have been standing since before 1900 when Somerville was first established as a town. Other landmarks include Lake Somerville State Park & Trailway which offers camping, hiking trails, biking paths and fishing spots; Fort Boggy State Park which features over 50 miles of trails; Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History; and Cockerell Wildlife Management Area which provides hunting opportunities for local sportsmen.
Population: 1,704. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,753 (+2.9% change)
Males: 826 (48.5%), Females: 878 (51.5%)
Zip code: 77879
Median resident age: 34.3 years
Median household income: $26,208
Median house value: $46,600
Races in Somerville:
- White Non-Hispanic (47.4%)
- Black (30.5%)
- Hispanic (21.5%)
- Other race (11.8%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (11.4%), Irish (6.6%), United States (6.5%), English (2.2%), French (1.6%), Czech (1.5%).
Elevation: 249 feet
Land area: 3.0 square miles
Somerville, Texas is a small town located in Burleson County in the state of Texas. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of Somerville was 1,065 in 2019. The racial makeup of the town is 71.2% White, 22.7% Hispanic or Latino, 0.9% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.1% Asian and 4.6% other races or two or more races. The median age of Somerville residents is 37 years old and the median household income is $47,811 per year with a poverty rate of 17%.
The economy of Somerville is mainly driven by agriculture and light industry businesses such as manufacturing and warehousing services. The top employers are Trinity Valley Dairy with 180 employees followed by H-E-B Grocery Store with 150 employees and Walmart Supercenter with 120 employees respectively. Education is also an important part of the town’s economy as there are several schools within its boundaries including Somerville Elementary School and Somerville High School as well as a private academy called Spring Creek Academy which has been providing quality education since 2001 to students from all over the area from pre-K through 12th grade levels ranging from developmental to college preparatory classes for students wanting to pursue higher education after graduating high school.
For population 25 years and over in Somerville
- High school or higher: 68.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Somerville city
- Never married: 25.6%
- Now married: 47.1%
- Separated: 3.8%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 12.6%
4.6% Foreign born (4.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +163 (+10.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Somerville:
- TRINITY COMMUNITY MED CENTER OF BREHAM (about 15 miles; BRENHAM, TX)
- BURLESON ST JOSEPH HEALTH CENTER (about 16 miles; CALDWELL, TX)
- COLLEGE STATION MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Somerville:
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 21 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 80 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
- DRAUGHON-MILLER CENTRAL TEXAS REGIONAL (about 82 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Abbreviation: TPL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Somerville:
- BRENHAM MUNI (about 15 miles; BRENHAM, TX; Abbreviation: 11R)
- CALDWELL MUNI (about 16 miles; CALDWELL, TX; Abbreviation: 14R)
- COULTER FIELD (about 29 miles; BRYAN, TX; Abbreviation: CFD)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Somerville:
- BLINN COLLEGE (about 15 miles; BRENHAM, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,448)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Full-time enrollment: 41,117)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 73 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- TEMPLE COLLEGE (about 78 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 78 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 82 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,819)
Public high school in Somerville:
- SOMERVILLE H S (Students: 235; Location: 523 8TH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Somerville:
- SOMERVILLE EL (Students: 287; Location: 523 8TH ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- SOMERVILLE J H (Students: 170; Location: 523 8TH ST; Grades: 06 – 08)